Cryptocurrency & Bitcoin Expert Witnesses
As more cryptocurrency is bought and sold, attempts to regulate Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are well underway. However, many questions remain unanswered. An expert witness can help juries and judges better understand the nuances of virtual currencies and which regulations, if any, apply to the case.
An expert witness will also explain how these currencies function, regulated in the US on federal and state levels, the unique aspects of the blockchain, and how digital assets can be traced, tracked, erased, or altered.
Dilendorf Law Firm works with the most reputable blockchain forensic investigators that are capable of tracking every bit of information available on a blockchain and investigated hundreds of cybercrime cases.
One of the Nation’s Leading Legal Experts on Cryptocurrency Transactions
Max Dilendorf, Esq., founding partner of the Dilendorf Law Firm, has traveled the world as a widely sought-after speaker on topics related to digital asset transactions, and compliance with U.S. securities and cryptocurrency laws. Mr. Dilendorf’s recent speaking engagements have included the Thailand SEC, IBM, Berkshire Hathaway, and New York University, to name a few.
The Dilendorf Law Firm is uniquely qualified to serve as a legal expert witness in cases involving cryptocurrency and Bitcoin. Our legal and financial expertise allows us to offer high-level legal opinions, as well as digging into cryptocurrency transactions between various parties with forensic detail with help of our trusted forensic investigator partners.
Having provided legal expert opinions in many forensic cryptocurrency cases, including adjudication proceedings in EB-5 matters with the USCIS, the Dilendorf Law Firm has been instrumental in settling cases pertaining to cryptocurrency and blockchain technology.
Expert Witnesses in Federal Cases Tracing Bitcoin
The Dilendorf Law Firm has been involved as legal expert witnesses in several federal cases regarding the tracing of stolen Bitcoin. Both were filed in the United States District Courts.
One of the cases involved 1,000 mined Bitcoins that were unlawfully transferred to the Claimant’s BTC-e Exchange wallet, and then transferred out to another account, resulting in the Claimant being falsely accused of money laundering. The second case involved forensic blockchain investigation of multiple unlawful transfers that compromised Bitcoin that was stolen from the former Mt. Gox exchange by hackers, including the client’s property. Forensic reports in these cases were completed by our trusted investigator partner.
Why Use a Cryptocurrency Expert Witness?
Ideally, an expert witness expressing a legal opinion will be experienced in cybersecurity and blockchain applications. When using a legal expert witness of any kind, it is important to be able to build credibility for the witness and prove their qualifications to the judge and jury. Our experience in this area includes all types of cryptocurrency. Our team has provided legal expertise in high-profile cases against Coinbase, and Bitcoin Series cases. Our opinion and testimony are often sought out by legal professionals who require a thorough understanding of digital assets.
Our deep knowledge of this industry allows our team to educate the legal authorities about the mechanisms of cryptocurrency, how it is traceable, and how, despite common misconceptions, transactions involving digital assets are often completely legal and publicly traceable.
The Importance of in-depth Cryptocurrency Expertise
Advising on legality and traceability of blockchain assets, we utilize not only our deep knowledge in the digital-asset legal compliance but also our vast network of professional connections, which include the major cryptocurrency and digital security exchanges, trusts, traders, broker-dealers, and forensic blockchain data investigators. In addition to standard legal opinions related to cryptocurrency transactions, there are many other areas where a cryptocurrency and Bitcoin expert witness may be useful.
- Trials & Expert Witness Testimony
- Federal and State Adjudication Proceedings
- Title reports
- Bitcoin Forensics
- Blockchain Forensics
- EB-5 Investment “Source of Funds”
Since the initial offerings of digital securities and cryptocurrencies, our attorneys have advised early adopters and issuers of virtual assets on compliance with U.S. securities and cryptocurrencies laws and regulations, including the KYC/AML checks and the mechanics of digital asset transactions.
Our legal expert opinions and forensic reporting may contain:
- Compliance of digital asset transactions under the Bank Secrecy Act and new Anti-Money Laundering Regulations
- KYC/AML compliance measures taken at each point of the funds’ journey by clients and third parties, including exchanges and OTC traders.
- Legal opinion on adoption, exchangeability, and legality of a particular kind of digital asset existing on a blockchain.
- The regulatory framework for cryptocurrencies and other blockchain assets in the U.S.
- Assessment of sufficiency of cryptographic private keys, public records and other factors establishing ownership of cryptocurrency or another digital asset on a blockchain.
Legal expert opinions and investigative reports about blockchain forensics can be effective tools, which may be essential for individuals investing in digital securities or conducting due diligence for a cryptocurrency transaction, a background check, or KYC/AML compliance. Such reporting may also be useful in demonstrating the legality of a digital asset holding to the IRS, USCIS, or another government agency.
The Dilendorf Law Firm provides industry-leading legal expert witnesses and related legal services, including investigative reporting, regulatory compliance, litigation, and consulting. When a legal proceeding requires an opinion or testimony from a cryptocurrency expert, our attorneys can play a key role in the outcome of the case.
- Regulation of Cryptocurrency Around the World
- Bitcoin Survey – Library of Congress
- Virtual Currencies
- The Rise of Bitcoin – Understanding the Ins and Outs of this Cryptocurrency
- Economic and Non-Economic Trading in Bitcoin
- Bitcoin and Virtual Currency Regulation
- Bitcoin: Technical Background and Data Analysis
- Bitcoin Dealers Licensed as Money Transmitters
- The Rise of Crypto: Could Bitcoin Reach $12,000 by 2020
- Bitcoin: Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
- Is it Ethical for Lawyers to Accept Bitcoins and Other Cryptocurrencies?
- Exploring the Opportunities and Challenges Surrounding the Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Ecosystem
- Investor Advisory: Bitcoin & Other Virtual Currencies
- Bitcoin Pricing, Adoption and Usage: Theory and Evidence
- How Bitcoin Functions as Property Law
- IRS Guide to Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency
- Rise of Crypto: Could Bitcoin Reach $12,000 by 2020?
- Currency, Legal Tender & Bitcoins
- Bitcoin: Technical Background and Data Analysis
- Beyond Silk Road: Potential Risks, Threats and Promises of Virtual Currencies
- Future of Cryptocurrency: Countering Fraud and Regulating Digital Assets
- Storing and Querying Bitcoin Blockchain Using SQL Databases
- Hearing Before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Beyond Silk Road: Potential Risks, Threats, and Promises of Virtual Currencies
- Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Announces Extradition Of Co-Founder Of Global Cryptocurrency Ponzi Scheme
Other ResourcesALL ARTICLES
Our Founding Partner
Max Dilendorf, Esq.
Global General Counsel Specializing in Family Office Services, Crypto Matters, Business Solutions, and Asset Protection
Max Dilendorf is an experienced Global General Counsel with a specialized focus on Family Office Services, Crypto, Business Solutions, and Asset Protection.
With ...Learn More
Adam is one of the nation’s leading young whistleblower lawyers. He brings with him a special ability not just to litigate, but to investigate – and understand – complex organizations and transactions. His extensive familiarity with tech issues is built on a computer science degree and work as a ...Learn More
Bari Zahn, Esq.
Bari Zahn has nearly 20 years of experience practicing at global law firms in New York. Bari has represented a broad array of multinational clients on U.S. and cross-border transactions. She has supervised legal teams worldwide and has extensive management experience as the Founder, former CEO and General ...Learn More
Steve contributes extensive business and problem-solving experience to challenges that may require litigation – or may help avoid it. Indeed, his perspective on litigation is influenced by his experience as a three-time internet start-up CEO.
Steve served on Ronald Reagan’s 1980 presidential campaign ...Learn More
Pamela A. Fuller, Esq.
Pamela A. Fuller is a corporate and international tax attorney, with over two decades of experience. She advises a wide range of clients–including private and public companies, joint ventures, private equity and hedge funds, C-Suite executives, private U.S and foreign individual clients, and government ...Learn More
Ivanna has 7 years of law practice in Europe, namely in the field of corporate law, M&A transactions, banking and finance. As a senior associate, she advised local, EU, US and multinational clients with respect to their business activities in Ukraine.
Particularly, Ivanna, together with junior associates ...Learn More
Robin Gerofsky Kaptzan, Esq.
A New York licensed attorney with three decades of legal and business experience in the U.S. and Asia, Robin recently joined the law firm as a partner and leads the Asia-Pacific practice.
While acting as an international business lawyer and global corporate general counsel, Robin is sought out by clients ...Learn More
Julia joined Dilendorf Law Firm in 2021. She handles all aspects of firm administration while providing paralegal support and litigation management. Julia also has a broad base of knowledge in human resources and communications.
Prior to joining Dilendorf team, Julia worked as an administrative assistant ...Learn More
Craig S. Redler
Craig S. Redler has held positions with Amicorp in its offices in Auckland New Zealand and Miami Florida, and Southpac Trust International, Inc. with offices in the Cook Islands and Tauranga New Zealand. His responsibilities included serving as Trustee for off-shore trusts settled by high net-worth clients ...Learn More
Sharon Kaye Mauer, Esq.
Sharon Kaye Mauer’s practice focuses trusts and estates and corporate law.
Sharon has practiced law for twenty year. She helps navigate her clients through various aspects of estate planning, such as wills, trusts, probate and administration, powers of attorney, and health care proxies and ...Learn More