Max Dilendorf, Esq.
Maksim “Max” Dilendorf stands as a globally recognized authority and trailblazer in the legal related to digital asset, cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology. As an early adopter of the blockchain industry in 2016, Max’s legal practice primarily centers around digital assets, money transmitter licenses, federal securities regulations, and asset tokenization. He is well known for consistently representing clients who have fallen victim to digital asset theft from cryptocurrency exchanges and wallets.
He fosters a legal philosophy grounded in federal and state compliance, providing clients with comprehensive counsel on meeting their regulatory obligations. Max and his team have dedicated thousands of hours to research and direct engagement with top industry contacts and regulators. This effort has cultivated an essential legal skill set and framework to solve the most intricate client issues, providing them with peace of mind.
Clients depend on Max’s personalized strategy and unparalleled, cutting-edge legal knowledge in the sphere of digital assets to decipher their most intricate crypto-legal challenges. His notable achievements include being listed as a “Rising Star” in the New York Metro Area by Super Lawyers, consecutively from 2018 through 2023.
Cryptocurrency and digital assets law is a multifaceted and complex domain, often necessitating intricate practical analysis and application of several laws and regulations, including but not limited to:
- The U.S. Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934;
- The Anti-Money Laundering Law (AML);
- The U.S. Bank Secrecy Act (BSA);
- 50 state-specific money transmitter laws (MTL) with a nationwide application standard;
- The U.S. Internal Revenue Code;and
- All related and implementing regulations of the above statutes.
Max diligently works to comprehend his clients’ backgrounds, goals, trading habits, investment vehicles, and other vital factors to pinpoint the applicable bodies of law, specific statutes, and regulations. This approach is paramount when:
- Determining and establishing the best onshore and offshore business structures;
- Assisting clients with asset tokenization projects;
- Developing legal market entry strategies for asset tokenization projections in the US, Southeast Asia, and Europe;
- Establishing guidelines for cryptocurrency trading activities to ensure legality under U.S. laws and regulations;
- Ensuring crypto compliance with tax laws and reporting requirements in line with evolving US standards; and
- Preparing a crisis plan to preemptively avoid crises.
Max routinely represents a broad range of digital asset matters for various entities, including:
- Institutional investors and publicly traded companies;
- Traditional real estate operators and developers;
- Art galleries, collectors and museums in connection with art tokenization projects;
- Cryptocurrency hedge fund managers and investors;
- Family offices; and
- Fraud Victims.
- April 24, 2023 | Fortune| Trial of former OpenSea product manager could broaden regulators’ definition of ‘insider trading’
- March 8, 2023 | Yahoo Finance | Crypto fraud victim’s case against Coinbase faces tough odds
- February 21, 2023 | Market Insider | Legal Update: SEC Targets NFT Projects with Subpoenas Over Potential Securities Violations, According to Dilendorf Law Firm and Andersen, P.C.
- June 8, 2022 | The new crypto bill could end algorithmic stablecoins as we know them
- June 7, 2022 | ‘Buckle up, everyone.’ Nate Chastain’s arrest shows the DOJ is serious about a crypto crackdown
- June 2, 2022 | ZeroHedge | DOJ Charges Ex-OpenSea Exec With NFT Insider Trading
- June 1, 2022 | Coindesk | US Charges Ex-OpenSea Exec With NFT Insider Trading
- May 10, 2022 | Coindesk | Can You Really Build a ‘Crypto Empire’ in the Empire State?
- May 5, 2022 | Law.Com | How Metaverse Firms Look to Manage Asset Loss, Disruption Risks in Untested Worlds
- May 5, 2022 | ArtNet | U.K.’s High Court Ruling on NFTs as ‘Property’ Has Been Called a Landmark—But It May Not Actually Change Much
- May 4, 2022 | VICE | Buying Authenticity: Inside the World of the Paid Crypto Shills
- May 4, 2022 | VICE | OpenSea ‘Sitting on Ticking Bomb’ as Lawsuits Pile Up Over Stolen Apes
- April 5, 2022 | Enterpreneur | Is Crypto Coming to an End? This $100 Million Settlement Will Impact Crypto Forever
- March 27, 2022 | Business Insider | Investing Juggernaut Animoca Brands Just Shut Down Its Crown Jewel Blockchain Game F1 Delta Time. Players, Investors And Lawyers Explain What Went Wrong — And The Checklist You Need If You’re Thinking Of Buying Licensed NFTs
- March 17, 2022 | City A.M.| NFTs: Magic Beans, Or Just Plain Lemons?
- March 4, 2022 | The Cointelegraph | Crypto Offers Russia No Way Out From Western Sanctions
- March 3, 2022 | Bitcoinist | SEC Smells Something Fishy About The NFT Market And Is Launching A Probe, Sources Say
- February 25, 2022 | The Cointelegraph | Wyoming’s State Stablecoin: Another Brick In The Wall?
- February 24, 2022 | Propmodo | When Will Real Estate’s Tokenization Transformation Happen?
- February 15, 2022 | The Defiant | U.K. Seizes NFTs In Fraud Probe As Authorities Hunt For Illicit Digital Assets
- February 15, 2022 | Investing.com | Has The SEC ‘Wiped Out’ DeFi Lending Model With BlockFi Penalty?
- February 15, 2022 | Yahoo! Finance | U.K. Seizes NFTs In Fraud Probe As Authorities Hunt For Illicit Digital Assets
- February 15, 2022 | TechCrunch | What BlockFi’s $100M Settlement With The SEC Means For Future Of DeFi Lending
- February 9, 2022 | Market Insider | 10 Questions About BitLicense From A Crypto Lawyer
- February 3, 2022 | Prime Resi | Unreal Deals: Is Crypto The Future For Real Estate?
- February 1, 2022 | Forbes | The World Of NFTs: Taxation And Compliance
- January 27, 2022 | Taxnotes |The World Of NFTs: Taxation And Compliance
- January 24, 2022 | AdPro | Heated Driveways, Cryptocurrency Sales, And Other Luxury Real Estate Trends For 2022
- January 13, 2022 | Sotheby’s | Is Crypto The Future For Real Estate?
- January 12, 2022 | Be In Crypto | Crypto Wealth & Hybrid Working Drive Luxury Property Purchases
- January 4, 2022 | The Real Deal | Inside Proptech Unicorn Pacaso’s Meteoric Rise — And Its Fallout
- December 16, 2021 | How-to Geek | Here’s The Problem With NFTs
- December 10, 2021 | Mansion Global | When Purchasing A Real Estate NFT, What Are You Really Buying?
- December 10, 2021 | Wikipedia | Bitcoin ATM
- December 2, 2021 | Artnet | These 7 Legal Gray Areas Could Determine The Future Of The Booming NFT Market
- December 1, 2021 | ABC 7 | Crypto: 7 On Your Side Investigates Currency And Confusion
- November 30, 2021 | The Japan Times | The New Masters: How Auction Houses Are Chasing Crypto Millions
- November 30, 2021 | Financial Times | What Are Non-Fungible Tokens And How Do They Work?
- November 19, 2021 | ETF Trends | Tokenize Everything
- November 8, 2021 | Reuters | The New Masters: How Auction Houses Are Chasing Crypto Millions
- October 5, 2021 | Yahoo! Finance | Crypto Becomes The Newest Fake News Frontier
- September 30, 2021 | The Washington Post | Crypto Tax: ‘MiamiCoin’ Has Made The City $7 Million So Far, A Potential Game-Changer For Revenue Collection
- September 24, 2021 | Messari | Venture DAOs: So Hot Right Now
- September 24, 2021 | Atlantic Council | The Case For A Financial Digital Asset Framework For Cryptocurrencies
- September 1, 2021 | Bank Info Security | Bitcoin ATM Firms Seek To Shape Regulations
- August 19, 2021 | Mansion Global | What Taxes Can A Buyer Expect When Purchasing A Home With Bitcoin?
- August 10, 2021 | Markets Insider | Launching A US Crypto Hedge Fund – Tips From A Crypto Lawyer
- August 5, 2021 | MarketWatch | Uniswap – An Illusion Of Decentralization?
- July 16, 2021 | Yahoo! Finance | 101-Year-Old Industrial Pump Valve Company Now Accepting Cryptocurrency From International Buyers
- July 7, 2021 | The Defiant | Crypto Scams Are Out Of Control, Again… Here’s How To Stop Them Forever
- June 22, 2021 | Coindesk | Story From Markets Security Token Market Shows Signs Of Resurgence
- May 31, 2021 | Tokenpost | Algocap.Io Becomes First NY Brokerage To Accept Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), And DOGE For Real Estate Transactions
- May 27, 2021 | Law.com | Security Token Offerings (STOs) For NFTs?
- May 21, 2021 | Gotham Weekly | NYC Brokerage, Algocap.Io – First To Accept Crypto In Real Estate Transactions
- April 25, 2021 | Yahoo! Finance | Coinbase Customers With Hacked Accounts Get No Justice From ‘Horrible’ US Laws: Fintech Lawyer
- April 25, 2021 | Hodlin | How To Buy Real Estate With Cryptocurrency?
- April 13, 2021 | Law 360 Pulse | As NFTs Boom, Cascade Of Cases And Legal Questions Await
- April 13, 2021 | Entrepreneur | Max Dilendorf Is A Top Cryptocurrency And Digital Asset Lawyer
- March 24, 2021 | Law.com | What’s Next: NFTs Pose A Billion-Dollar Legal Question + The Fate Of Diversity Shareholder Suits Against Big Tech + Facebook’s Leaked Documents Resurface In Cambridge Analytica Litigation
- March 22, 2021 | Newshub | Digital Artwork That Anyone Can Copy For Free Sells For Almost $100 Million
- March 22, 2021 | Los Angeles Magazine | Thinking Of Buying Or Minting An NFT? Here’s What You Need To Know
- March 16, 2021 | AP | Dilendorf Law Firm: Will NFTs Be Deemed Securities Subject To The U.S. SEC Laws And Regulations?
- March 16, 2021 | MarketWatch | Dilendorf Law Firm: Will NFTs Be Deemed Securities Subject To The U.S. SEC Laws And Regulations?
- March 11, 2021 | Reuters | Digital-Only Artwork Fetches Nearly $70 Million At Christie’s
- March 3, 2021 | Yahoo! Finance | Max Dilendorf Serves As A Bitcoin Expert Witness In USCIS EB-5 Green Card Adjudication Proceedings
- March 1, 2021 | Page Six | Barry Avrich On ‘Made You Look,’ His New Doc About Art Fraud
- January 14, 2021 | Reuters | U.S. Regulator’s Approval Of Stablecoin Payments Provides Regulatory Building Block, Compliance Challenge
- November 2, 2020 | The Tokenist | Dilendorf Khurdayan And Entoro Release “Benefits, Risks And Practical Considerations” Report For Tokenized Equities
- August 22, 2020 | Hive Blog | Is DeFi For Real?
- March 9, 2020 | Financial News Now | A Revolution In Liquidity And Transparency: How Blockchain Technology Is Transforming How We Invest
- January 21, 2020 | Forbes | Legal And Regulatory Experts Weigh In On The SEC’s Proposed Changes To The Accredited Investor Status
- January 17, 2020 | Brick Underground | How To Buy A NYC Apartment: The International Edition
- December 6, 2019 | The FinReg Blog | BLOCKCHAIN DISRUPTION AND DECENTRALIZED FINANCE: THE RISE OF DECENTRALIZED BUSINESS MODELS
- May 27, 2019 | Thrive Global | Why Face-To-Face Connections Still Trump Digital Ones
- May 24, 2019 | Crain’s | Opportunity Zones Aren’t Just For Real Estate
- February 13, 2019 | Financial News Now | A Revolution In Liquidity And Transparency: How Blockchain Technology Is Transforming How We Invest
- December 7, 2018 | Bloomberg Law | INSIGHT: How To Defer Bitcoin Capital Gains Through Purchase Of NY Qualified Opportunity Zone Real Estate
- November 23, 2017 | Mansion Global | Does The Common Reporting Standard Affect A Chinese National Buying A Home In The U.S.?
- November 5, 2017 | FXCM | The Most Popular Cryptocurrency Terms And Phrases
Sale of Multi-Family Building and Partner Buy-Out
Successfully represented a client in the sale of a mixed-use building in Midtown, Manhattan and in the buy-out of his partner’s ownership interest in the building
Advised a foreign client on structuring a reverse 1031-exchange for the sale of $5M mixed-use property in Midtown Manhattan
Retail Condo Purchase and Financing
Assisted a foreign client with obtaining financing for the purchase of a $5.75M retail condominium unit in Downtown, Manhattan
Commercial Loan Secured by a Building
Represented a borrower in a $10M commercial loan transaction secured by an office building in Florida
Luxury Estate Lease in Greenwich, CT
Represented a member of a royal family as co-counsel in drafting and negotiating the lease for a residential property in Greenwich, CT
US Inbound Investment in Commercial Development Project
Represented a foreign private fund in connection with the corporate and tax structuring of their investment in commercial real estate project in NYC by utilizing beneficial tax treaty provisions, and combination of debt and equity
Acquisition of Development Lot in Miami
Represented a developer as co-counsel in the acquisition of a $21M development lot on the Indian Creek Compound, Miami, FL
Acquisition and Development of EPA’s Superfund Site in Connecticut
Represented a developer as co-counsel in a $50M project that involved the acquisition of the EPA’s Superfund site in CT for developing a 100,000 SF retail store
Tokenized Real Estate Lending Fund
Working with a client on setting-up a $20M tokenized real estate lending master feeder fund (US/Cayman), including potential tax implications, application of US securities and investment regulations and worldwide treatment of the fund tokens
Delaware Dynasty Trust to Purchase and Hold Investment Real Estate
Represented a foreign investor as co-counsel in connection with setting-up a Delaware Dynasty Trust for asset protection purposes and for purposes of purchasing and holding investment real estate in New York
Commercial Property Tokenization Consulting
Advised a client regarding the process of tokenizing $40M commercial property in the Midwest, addressed applicable securities regulations and token transfer restrictions for US and non-US investors, selected appropriate legal structure and consulted regarding the underwriting process on a smart-contract, issuance of ERC-20 tokens, verification of the accreditation status of US and non-US investors, KYC/AML checks, as well as onshore/offshore banking