At Dilendorf Law Firm, we represent international clients in connection with structuring inbound investments in US real estate. We combine hands-on real estate experience with legal expertise, making us a one-stop shop for real estate clients around the world.
FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN US REAL ESTATE
Legal + Tax Representation
Represented a foreign investor in the purchase of $19.7M condominium unit in Midtown, Manhattan
Represented international private equity fund in structuring their investment in a joint-venture to develop a luxury condominium project in Brooklyn, New York
Represented a client from Italy in connection with the sale of her condominium unit in the Financial District, New York
Represented a foreign investor in setting up an irrevocable trust holding structure for purchasing and holding investment real estate in New York for the benefit of the investor’s family
Represented a foreign client in connection with the purchase of $4M luxury condominium unit in Tribeca, New York
Assisted a foreign client with obtaining financing for the purchase of $5.75M retail condominium unit in Downtown, Manhattan
Represented a foreign investor in $7M buy-out of his partner’s interest in a mixed-use building in Midtown, Manhattan
Our firm has significant experience in developing and implementing tax efficient holding structures for foreign investments in the U.S. real estate that minimize the U.S. tax burden arising from participation in real estate projects.
We represented clients from Switzerland, Kuwait, Italy, Russia, Sweden, United Arab Emirates, China, Kazakhstan and Latin America.
Purchasing U.S. real estate as a non-resident is different in some very important ways from buying property as a citizen or permanent resident.
The rules that apply to such transactions and the processes that must be followed are often more complicated and time consuming. Even basic things like opening a bank account for non-residents require multiple steps and additional documents.
As such, careful planning is crucial at every stage of the real estate transaction to ensure successful execution and compliance with the state and federal laws.
Our real estate law firm guides foreign clients through every aspect of a real estate transaction, including:
- Forming tax-efficient real estate holding entities for foreign clients;
- Compliance with FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act);
- Advising clients as to their U.S. and New York State/New York City tax and reporting obligations in connection with purchase and sale of real estate;
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state and municipal tax laws;
- Obtaining U.S. tax identification numbers for purchasing real estate;
- Assisting clients in opening of the U.S. bank accounts;
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing purchase offers, contracts of purchase and sale, closing documents and deeds; and
- Conducting title search and examination, and resolving title problems.
For a consultation about structuring foreign investment in US real estate
contact Dilendorf Law Firm by email or call us at 212.457.9797.